Demand for Electricity

Electricity demand in Italy in 2012 decreased by 2.8% compared to the previous year. Peak demand on the Italian electricity network stood at 54,113 MW, recorded on 10 July 2012, at 12.00. The figure was around 2,361 MW lower (-4.18%) than the peak recorded in the previous year, equal to 56,474 MW, recorded on 13 July 2011, at 12.00.

Domestic production met 86.8% of Italy’s electricity requirements, whilst the remaining 13.2% was covered by imports. As regards the contributions to total production, 62.2% came from thermoelectric plants, 13.3% from hydroelectric sources and, lastly, 11.3% from geothermal and wind/PV sources.


 1 January -
31 December 2012
1 January -
31 December 2011
% change
2012/2011
Net production    
- hydroelectric 43,32247,202-8.2
- thermoelectric 204,796218,485-6.3
- geothermal 5,2385,315-1.4
- wind power 13,1199,77534.2
- photovoltaic 18,32310,66871.8
Total net production 284,798291,446-2.3
Import 45,36947,520-4.5
Export 2,2811,78727.6
 Balance of imports43,08845,733-5.8
Consumption for pumping systems 2,6272,5393.5
Electricity demand 325,259334,640-2.8
Richiesta di energia elettrica = Produzione netta + Saldo estero – Consumo pompaggi